Tuesday 30 June 2015

Danced With Sweet Senoritas, And We All Went Home As Winners Of A Kind

Hello my glorious sunbeams

My mini break from posting was mostly spent on my family holiday in Sweden, wandering round Stockholm and sitting in the back of the the camper van my parents hired as we drove through the countryside.









Sweden is pretty incredible, it's so many things in one, there's art and culture and a completely different lifestyle. The first few days were spent in Stockholm, visiting museums, catching boats and hiding from the rain in coffee shops and pizza joints. The modern art museum there was definitely my favorite part, so much so that I visited it twice, which I plan to write more about in a later post.
One of the reasons I loved it so much was that the atmosphere created by the city, there was a comforting quietness about it, I never felt like I was pushing past people or fighting for space. There's an air of simplicity and cleanliness about the city, but without ever feeling cold or unforgiving. The tall interlocking housing blocks and totally aesthetic train stations, I felt like an extra in an 80's counter culture film about two strangers falling in love in the suburban sprawl.



While slightly more cramped, the five of us in, admittedly a very large camper-van, but what was still a camper-van, the countryside was still amazing. Living in Wales I see the same rainy muddy forests and bleak mountain landscapes all the time but Sweden was like seeing something both familiar and unknown. The endless wide open roads and dense pine wood forests, little red houses with the white accent panels. It reminded me of Twin Peaks, the odd, slightly unsettling silence that filled the campsites and lake-sides we stopped in. It was beautiful but as my mum pointed out, it didn't take a lot of imagination as to why there are so many murder/crime shows set in Sweden.









This post is less word-sy because I'm still struggling with how to articulate all of my feelings and also because I took a ridiculous amount of photos, Like seriously I had a clean memory card in my camera at the start of the holiday and I had to delete photos as I went along just because I ran out of memory space. I also have a couple of rolls of film to get processed as well as a post on the museums I visited and what I bought.

xxx
 Rosie

No comments :

Post a Comment