Friday 4 September 2015

Cool Thrifty/Aesthetic Youtube Channels

↑↑↑ I couldnt think of a cool title for this lol ↑↑↑

I get kinda bummed with youtube sometimes, because I like fashion and clothes and style but hate the 'fashion + beauty community' on youtube. Well its not that I hate them or their videos it just brings me down when the majority of fashion related content is a pretty little white girl holding up a huge bag of shopping that she probably spend £100+ on with twinkly music and cutesy font. I don't like sponsored videos (although I understand the reasons behind making them) I don't like 'back to school hauls' and 'mid summer favourites ' and 'I decided to buy these basic t-shirts in five different colours for only £8 each!'

I don't like them because the message behind them feels like 'buy this clothing/make up/miscellaneous and you can be like me and have my cute happy expensive Instagram filtered life' and if you cant drop £50 on one outfit....then you can't be a beauty vlogger. I doubt any of them do it spitefully but most vloggers tend to have a lot of privilege (rich families to support them) or a certain marketability that propelled them into fame *cough*Zoella*cough* 

But there's a shining light of fashion vloggers taking a different route going to thrift and charity shops, looking for second hand cheaper alternatives to give inspiration and relief from 'here buy this £15 stripey t-shirt and look just like me!' So lets all say no to blind consumerism and go hunting for cute second hand fashion!



Showing off her almost entirely thrifted wardrobe with cool editing and music tastes in thrifted look books and haul videos. I love her dancing and dedication to the 80's sitcom kid look and video tips on wearing what you want



Lauren departed youtube some time last year but like many others I still check her channel with crossed fingers looking for a new video but end up binge watching her old styling and thrift videos. She has a cute 60's/70's hippie nostalgic style and the bleached bangs of Cherie Currie and gives great cult film recommendations. 


(allcaps for alltheaction)


I first saw Ashely's heelying video which is like the coolest concept to me, because really who doesn't want to skate round town in cool outfits pulling rad tricks? But then I stayed for the amazing outfit video's and off the scale editing skills.



While not strictly a 'thrift' channel Heather has the best DIY fashion videos, going beyond some of the 30 minute videos on how to diy a pair of cut offs - like do you really need that long to learn how to draw a puffy paint heart on the ass of you shorts? - also puffy paint?!? - As a fashion student most of the DIYs are based on looks she's seen on the catwalk or magazine editorials and are cool ways to jazz up that old thrifted t-shirt or jeans.

And last but by no means least

the glorious Rian Phin


She's so positive and cute and like if a piece of modern art came to life and started dancing! I love her diy videos and get real jelly of her thrift hauls because how does one girl find so much American Apparel stuff in a second hand store?

So I hope you like these links and get all jazzed up to go and find cute second hand clothes and not fall into the trap of consumerism!

xxx
Rosie

5 comments :

  1. You've basically listed all of my favourite youtube channels and I love you because of it. They put so much effort into their videos and their styles are perfection! Also, the first part of this post literally preached to my soul. You encapsulated everything I feel about that typa "typical" fashion/beauty youtuber. Some of my other favourites who I think you'd love are 'blvckbeauty', 'jujusquad' , and 'kianahearts'!

    vogueescapade.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually looked through jujusquad's videos and i heart her so much, just forgot while writing the post lol, I may do a follow up list in the future and she will deff be on it, will check out the others too! Thanks so much for liking the post! xx

      Delete
  2. ah thanks for the recommendations - also curse you for feeding my youtube habit! :')

    www.miriamwoodburn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going thrifting this week and these videos are making me really excited!

    WonderGoth

    ReplyDelete