Monday 3 August 2015

Submissions Wanted! Factory Girl Zine

the work in progress scan of the cover!
I'm making a zine!! Well I'm in the process of making a zine! It's all very exciting and I'm kinda into how into it I am, if you get me. 

The zine is called Factory Girl, using everyone's art dad Andy Warhol as inspo, and focuses on the phenomenon of 'it girls'. I'm also looking at the idea of girls being on a production line, as almost everyone seems to think 'all girls are just the same' and how seemingly revolutionary it is for these 'it girls' to appear and 'break the mold'. 
I want to look into the history of 'it girls' and what links the women that society define as being 'so cool and different'. Think Alexa Chung and Edie Sedwick, winged eye liner and choppy hair, subdued yet underlying sexuality and wearing masculine clothing while still remaining acceptably feminine. Think 'she's not like other girls!', 'she's just like one of the boys!' and 'changing the face of fashion!' 
As you can see there's a deeper slightly darker misogynistic side to 'it girls' as we're told to love these 'different and original' girls and hate on the 'other girls'. Girl Hate is something I detest and is such a sickly idea and partly why I wanted to make this zine, hopefully we can turn some negativity into support for all girls everywhere, not just the 'it' ones. 

But this is where I need you!

*Insert uncle Sam picture lol*

While I love the making side to the zine, doing collages, little illustrations and the general layout and aesthetic of the zine, I need words! If you have any pieces of text you'd like to submit I would be over the moon (other content like photos or other artwork are also really appreciated as well!) Anything from essays to poems or even just a few sentences would be amazing! Otherwise it will just be my crappy writing in which I try and sound cool and intellectual but actually just sound boring with too many exclamation points!!!!

you can message me through my tumblr ask box (please not on anon otherwise I can't reply) or dm me on instagram if you're interested! You can always leave a comment on here if you don't have either social media and we'll work out a solution!
All submissions are welcome and of course I will give full credit so this could be a great chance to get published! The zine might make it into print depending on the number of pages but will probably be digital, i'm thinking of sending a small printed copy to those who submitted work so get it in fast! 
I don't have a deadline for when the zine will be finished, I'm hoping by the end of the summer depending how busy an august I have, but the quicker you get them in the quicker I can finish the zine!

I did some work in progress scans of my work to try and give an idea of the work going into the Zine and I'm going to try and make some templates to give an idea of the layout which will mean me struggling with the printer for hours, whoo!




xxx
Rosie

No comments :

Post a Comment