Tuesday 7 July 2015

you want me to hit you with a stick but all I've got is a guitar pick

Summer means late mornings and endless evenings, bare legs and tied back hair. Long afternoon walks with friends and sunbathing on the grass, taking funny snapchat photos, making daisy chains and filling out sketchbook pages. Takeout pizza and drawing on pizza boxes, sitting by the beach listening to the sounds of the water and my friends getting high. Laughter as the sun sets and walking home in the dark without it feeling cold. 
 It means rifling through charity shops and second hand stores, wearing the clothes that have been taking up space in the wardrobe. Spring cleaning and getting rid of clutter, wanting for nothing more than the breeze on your face. Bicycle rides and ice cream dripping on your fingers. Impromptu garden parties and drinking at lunchtime, but then lunchtime is usually at 4pm anyway.




    

Summer also means lazing. Watching films and Netflix in bed all day, sneaking biscuits and sandwiches to my room, trying to make one glass of water last for a whole film so I don’t have to make the journey to the sink. It means drawing and watercolours and thinking about what you’d like to do but never actually coming round to it. Being happy alone but still feeling lonely, missing something that never existed. The overall fomo of not being at wild all night parties, watching the sun rise and meeting new exciting people, in fact not having a proper night out in months. A general feeling of un-satisfaction with how the summer seems to be playing out.

Summer tunes

David Bowie - the man who sold the world
Hinds - davey crockett
Made Violent - two tone hair
Oasis - don't look back in anger
Lorde - ribs
Orange Juice - I can't help myself
Lou Reed - hangin' 'round

I recently found a list I’d made of things that make me happy in my journal, back when I was still struggling through final major project and slightly un happy times.

  • flowers by the train side
  • grayson perry
  • bbc four documentaries 
  • butterflies 
  • power walking 
  • doing your own washing
  • buying bread 
some additions to the list
  • listening to french punk 
  • reading through old art magazines 
  • clunky platform heels
  • short shorts
  • andy warhol
  • running so fast you can feel the wind pass you by
  • masking tape
  • adding in extra pages to journals
  • adding in extra pages with masking tape
  • greta gerwig
  • masking tape ( i really love masking tape )
  • the evaluation of tavi gevinson's style that sits on my wall
  • Commes Des Garcon
  • finding clothes you forgot existed 
  • embroidery
  • thinking of outfits
  • finishing a reel of film
xxx
Rosie


2 comments :

  1. This is a beautiful post, Rosie. Although summer for me this year feels a little less than everything you mentioned (so far), I still felt what your saying, in a way (especially the third paragraph about lazing around aha) which left me smiling. Writing lists of things that makes you happy is so therapeutic, right? Your list is great. x

    vogueescapade.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much xx don't worry, summer has literally only just begun and there's so much I'm not doing that I really should, there's always tomorrow right? writing lists, especially slightly nonsense ones is such a revealing thing to do xx Rosie

      Delete