Tuesday 1 July 2014

Something I am good at

So after watching Inside Llewyn Davis two nights ago with my friend, and facing my artistic slump in a rather depressive manner, seriously that film broke me so hard, I found myself in need of encouragement in getting back into art.
After some words of wisdom from the fab Lauren Rose I slowly got back into creating and doing stuff rather than just thinking about it. A big struggle with my art is that not a lot of stuff comes easily to me, like I find drawing and painting enjoyable but it is a really big task for me to create a piece through that medium and as I was really drained both emotionally and physically I did something that I not only find pleasure in doing, but also create art works that I'm proud of. I'd even go as far to say its something I succeed at. 

I dont really know what to title this particular medium, to be fair its not my job, I certainly didnt invent it.
Basically all I do is embroider onto old post cards and photographs, some of which I own or have bought from car-boot sales, creating and changing the image originally there. I wish I had my art book from school as it had loads of thoughtful, well slightly more thoughtful and a lot more coherent, evaluations and there were more examples, it was even a big part of my final piece. I found out about this type of art work from the incredible Maurizio Anzeri after seeing his exhibition in Chapter Arts Centre and became desperate to include his work into my art. In school I struggle to research and gather inspiration on the slightly boring artists my teachers suggest for me to study so I often try to find my own, and risk loosing marks as my teachers tend to take it personally if I go against them. 
Which I do a lot. 
I don't know how I'm going to pass art.



So these are two I completed yesterday with old postcards, one from the car-boot sale, I think it was written in LA but happens to have South African stamps on it. The other is from my granddad to my mum when he went on holiday to Bruges, which is one of his favourite places and prompted a family watching of In Bruges, which is not really a family friendly film. 
I cant really give you a tutorial on it as I just do what ever I think first, mostly line work and I often just draw out circles and make Spirograph like patterns. I really like to build up the stitches as it adds another dimension to the piece. 
The first what meant to collect the feeling of holidays, feeling lost in a happy way, unfamiliar and exciting countries and oddly enough the 1012 Olympics when Cardiff hosted lots of the football events and the Brazilian supporters made the high-street feel like a huge celebration and brightened up a boring bus journey home. The second is originally a photo of Michelangelo's statue of Madonna and Child and while I'm not religious I've always like the golden halo's in religious paintings and so I added some creative halo's to them.


One of the best thing about embroidery is that you can turn it over and look at the back which is always fun. You can also see how little I worry about getting it perfect, a perfectionist I ain't.

xxx
Rosie

No comments :

Post a Comment